Sunday, April 8, 2012

Penguins Don't Let Their Plots Simmer.

It's my 92th post, and I feel that we know each other well enough for me to finally show you what I actually write about. All of my following works are fiction, and the covers were made by me (except for the last one. That one was designed by the amazing Fena).

1. Mermaidens.


Believe me when I tell you that I just spent the past ten minutes making this cover, specifically for this post. So I expect you to feel like a privileged blog reader, okay? Because I like to spend my time entertaining you. 

......

Also, I just needed a cover for it.

So anyway, this story is about two twin sisters, whose mother was killed by mermaids when they were younger--and their father runs the country they live in.  And there is a slight infestation of she-fish living in the lakes and streams around the country, but the dad blatantly ignores it, in favor of a new healthcare bill. 

There's also a boy named Calvin, who has a pretty decent role in the book. 

Remember when I said in the last few paragraphs that the country has a slight pest problem? Well, they kill young women. And Calvin's job is fishing these girl's bodies out of the lakes. Creepy, I know, but I just love it.

He also has a big black horse named Minos--which makes me like Calvin slightly more.


2. Space Girls


I definitely (take note of how I spelled that) love this storyline--but if I didn't love it, I wouldn't continue writing, would I? I don't think I would. There are quite a few things in this world that I finish, and a story I don't enjoy writing in my free time sadly isn't one of them.

This novel is about three girls and a smattering of alien men-type creatures, and love, and pickled vegetables. 

That's all I'm going to say, because if you look on my about page, you will find the link to go read it somewhere else online. Keep in mind that there are only a few chapters yet, and that it's not finished.

Thank you.

3. Flowerhead.


I also just made this cover for this blog post.

I swear, the things I do for you guys. 

I started writing this story yesterday, a few hours before bed. It's my intention that this piece will only be a few thousand words long, and I expect to have it completely finished and up on Figment by the end of this month. 

So far it's about a boy named Liam, who's a writer. He's writing about a girl with flowered hair.

And that is all I have. I'm only about a thousand words in so far, and I'm still developing the characters and setting and foreshadowing and minor stuff like that. I think it's going to be fun to watch play out. 




4. First Spark.


I've put this novel on hold right now, while I write Space Girls and Flowerhead. I can't wait to return to it, later, but for now, I have no plot in mind for it, so I'm letting the story simmer, like one of my very favorite authors Jackson Pearce said I should do last week at the liveshow. Her being an author, I decided to take her advice and just let it sit.

It's a dystopian about these creatures who have killed almost the entirety of the human population. The point of view is from one of the few thousand remaining humans; a teenager named Tessa. 

I'd tell you more, but as I said earlier, it has no plot yet, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. 

So yeah. Those are all of my current projects. As you can see, I've thrown myself head-first into the pile of shredded ideas that is my mind, and I've pulled out several stories that might or might not work. 

Who knows?

No comments: