Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Scorpio Races

I haven't gotten around to mangos yet, so I figured that I'd start off the new year with a book review. Maybe later tonight I'll do the reflecting part of 2011, but right now, I just want to say some stuff about this book.

It's The Scorpio Races, by Maggie Stiefvater.


I have to admit that I totally judge books by their covers. If a book has an awful cover and I've never even heard about it, then I won't even look twice at it.

The Scorpio Race's cover really turned off the 'I WANT TO TOUCH IT' button for me. I know that several hours were spent on this cover, but it still... err. Shiver (oh gosh, I didn't mean to do that).

But I'd heard really good things about this book--and, it's Maggie Stiefvater. She wrote the Shiver series (and now do you see where I messed up in the last paragraph?).

So I read it, and I was instantly hooked. I flew through the pages like lightning. Or, as fast as the Capaill Aisce, the water horses in the book.

I seem to be saying this a lot about books lately, but this book has a really crummy ending. It was sad, and it nearly broke my heart. I cried.

I also screamed at the book during the middle.

"NO! NO! Maggie, why? Why? WHY?"

I seriously hated the author when I was screaming at her book. She made things so... hard. She mixed up my feelings for the book. What I felt about the characters, who I was supporting more than the other. 

What I've got to say, now that the book is over?

The cover suits it.

Even though it still stinks.

Keep writing, Maggie Stiefvater.

No comments: