Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You're Welcome.

I don't think I've ever told you guys about my favorite band, Vampire Weekend. You've likely never heard of them, but if you watch tv and sit through the commercials, I guarantee you you've heard small snippets of their music.

Like a couple of years ago, there was a car commercial near Christmas, where the people are all in stop motion, handing out presents... and I'm just going to find it online for you.


And then recently, if you've watched the theatrical trailer for the Lorax, then you've heard them.

Here, I'll find it for you online, so that you don't have to.


It's the background music at the end, in case you missed it.

Anyway, they're my favorite band, and they have been for a long time. You should check out a lot of their songs, because I think that they're all decently good. But today I'd just like to show you a couple of my favorite songs from them.


1. Holiday.

 I like everything about this song. I like how it's a song about holidays but yet it still managed to be summery and light and not at all holiday-y. Though, from watching the music video (which is not what I posted here; I don't need my mom thinking the band is even more weird than she already does), I'm going to assume that when they say holiday, they mean the British version of holiday--which, correct me if I'm wrong--is what they call vacations. So this song could take place at any time of year. 

Who knows? Maybe it is a song about summer.

2. Campus.

 The only thing I have to say about it is that I love the words.

  3. A-Punk.

 This song is actually what got me started into the band, and I really like because it almost feels like the music is trying to catch up to itself, that it's a race between time and flute solos. It fits what the actual words tell the story of: a girl, stealing a ring from what I assume is her ex. And the ex follows her all over North America, trying to get it back.


In the end, the girl in the song ends up cutting the ring in half, one half of it goes to another man, the other half being cast into the ocean.

4. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa.

This song feels very earthy and summery to me, and I love how it's sort of slow-paced, compared to their other songs. 


So yeah. That's my favorite band. If you hate them, that's good, because I think they've dispersed and are no longer together as a band. And if you like them, then that's bad, because once again, I think they dispersed.

 

No comments: