Sunday, September 16, 2012

At The Fair

As I told you guys, for the past four days I've been at the Kansas State Fair. The food was greasy and delicious, the funnel cakes were overpriced, I met a few cool people, and the 4-H Encampment Building was... encampment-y. Turns out that they used to house people of war in the building during WWII. What an awesome chunk of history to know, right?

Yesterday I met some boys from Youtube, who released the viral music video I'm Farming and I Grow it, which was a parody to I'm Sexy and I Know it, by LMFAO. I have to say that they were completely normal farm kids, but I still felt underprivileged around them. 


My mom graciously bought a cool t-shirt for me and they signed the back of it, so we didn't just stand there awkwardly and blabber about how much we liked (sorry, loved) their video--but then again, that's basically what we did. I didn't say much during the entire visit (which lasted roughly five minutes), and I feel like a complete idiot for doing so. But really, what was I supposed to do? They already had people congratulating them on their music video, and telling them how good it is. I didn't want to make it overkill.

So I stayed silent. I mean, how are you supposed to tell someone that you've watched their video about fifteen times? It's just embarrassing that I can actually sing along to the song.

I'm writing this down mostly because the Peterson Brothers actually read some of what their fans write on blogs. This is my apology, and also my voice to say what I couldn't seem to choke out when I met them. I really like your videos! I think it's awesome that you guys go to K-State, and I'm glad that someone accurately portrayed Kansas. 

Okay. Now I will stop feeling guilty about it. 

In other news, I also met the governor of Kansas. His name is Sam Brownback, and he's an old college professor of my dad's. 

My sister Lizzie tagged along for the ride.

He was friendly, and was eating frozen yogurt when we walked up to him and anxiously waited for him to stop talking to one of my mom's old friends. And then I shook hands with him and my mom snapped this photo of us. It was all very thrilling. 

We returned to the very same booth the next day--though this time the governor wasn't there--and I noticed that there were these trading card-type  things of all of the famous Kansas people. One man's pointed face caught my attention, and with the excitement of a true fan girl, I picked up Buster Keaton's card and said, "I had no idea that Buster Keaton was from Kansas! That's awesome!"

 All-in-all, I had a pretty good time. I'm glad to be home, though, in the quiet and peacefulness of my own room.

No comments: