Wednesday, September 12, 2012

At Night.

Sorry there has been no post recently. I can't exactly say that I've been busy, really, I just haven't posted. I don't really know what to blog about now, as nothing has been going on.

My mom, my younger sister Elizabeth, and I are going to the State Fair soon. Tomorrow. We'll be looking at the butter statue and eating funnel cakes and touring the commercial buildings. My siblings have a few things there for 4-H, but this year all I did was horticulture and livestock, so I didn't compete. I will, however, be participating in the judging contests. 

The only thing we won't be doing is riding the rides. 

You may remember, roughly a year ago that I posted about going to the State Fair. Well, I went, and though I had a good time, the rides made me feel a little sick (can you blame me? The rides my companion insisted on riding were fast, spun around in lots of circles and jumbled up my insides). Besides, my mom doesn't exactly believe in going to the State Fair and riding the rides. There's so much more to see (like the annual butter sculpture).

I've never been to the State Fair at night, even though I've gone three (four?) times. So I'm excited for that, a lot. I wonder if everything will be lit up with bright orange-yellow lights, and then everything else will be pitch black. In an ideal setting, I hope that is the case.


Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) once said that maybe people are afraid of the dark because there is less distraction from fear. I know I'm paraphrasing and therefore it didn't come out right. But there it is.

I'm not afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of what's lurking inside its film and blackness. I can't see through the dark, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. To me, night time is beautiful. I love it. All the little details that are ugly and mangled in the brightness of day take on a new persona when the sun disappears. Sometimes it's for the worse, making the object/thing look knarled and hideous (and oftentimes scary). But a lot of the time it looks pretty. 

This is rain. At night.
I'm excited to go to the State Fair. As soon as we arrive we're going to go and watch one of our friends at a reining demonstration (horse-type stuff). No doubt I'll be amazed and inspired to join the reining sport even more. 


In other news, Taylor Swift released a new single called 'We Are Never Getting Back Together'. It's been stuck inside my head for the past few days now, but that's okay, because I really like the song, even though it's not country (this doesn't mean I like country) and more a pop song. 

I must go pack now. Does anyone have some fair-related stories to share with me? I'd love to hear them!

No comments: