Sunday, June 10, 2012

I Hate Dystopian.

Yes, I am also participating in June's version of Camp NaNoWriMo. For any readers who don't know what that is, it's basically a crazy, fun, incredibly hard challenge where you write 50,000 words in approximately thirty days. You cry, you laugh, you scream in frustration and shout for joy, you share your struggles with other Nanoers on Twitter or the Forums--but the most important thing about NaNoWriMo is that you do something with your writing skills.

You don't sit stagnant for days at a time. NaNo forces you to keep writing. 

Sure, the manuscript you're left with at the end of it all is a big hunk of junk, but it's something to be proud of.

That is, until you start revising it a few months later and you find out that you hate your novel. 

Mostly because you tried your hand at dystopian and found out that you hated dystopian. 

I mean, the Hunger Games was great, great (I even have a Mockingjay pin), but everything that came after it is just... mehhh. Have you ever noticed that when a certain genre of book is in trend, a lot of middle-grade books manage to get published?

I have. 

And I hate dystopian. 

But back to my first topic. 

I got started a few days late this June, and one day I just didn't write at all because my plot wasn't moving and I had absolutely no idea what I was going to write. But suddenly it came to me, as I was sitting there, trying to think of another witty dialogue line to write down. 

It's like finally understanding calculus or something; the path was clear and so in turn I've been writing like a wild banshee for the past two days.

So how has your NaNoWriMo been going so far, if you're participating in it? 

And now, to end this blog post:


That is all.

No comments: