Saturday, October 13, 2012

John Green Books



Having just lent a new friend my copy of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I cannot ever express how much I recommend the book. It's funny and cripplingly sad and tragic and beautiful. And if you haven't read it you need to do so now. I saw something in the Youtube comments the other day that I found was true. The comment went:

Me: *finishes John Green novel*
Me: *rethinks entire life*

And I think it's very true in a lot of ways because no matter what, anything that I read from John Green always makes me reconsider something about how I perceive a particular topic. Here is something that I put together last night before I fell asleep (and yes, all of the quotes were from memory).

Looking for Alaska (a book about escaping the metaphorical labyrinth that is your brain): "How will we ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?"

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8021/7671659332_f84caa7fee.jpg

An Abundance of Katherines (a book about wanting to/being loved and losing the people you love): "You can love someone so much, but you can never love someone as much as you can miss them."



Paper Towns (a book about the dangers of miss-imagining people): "Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than the stories and people we're quoting."


The Fault in Our Stars (a book about how much cancer sucks): "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."


***

My favorite out of all of them is The Fault in Our Stars. I feel like the author has really given me something more than worth the ten dollars I paid for it. The story itself, while it is strikingly beautiful, does not compare to the knowledge that accompanied it.

So thanks, John. 

No comments: